Field House On Track For June Opening

Gwen McNulty, Lion's Roar Staff

On September 8, 2022, a groundbreaking took place on the Lincoln High School campus, officially setting the stage for the Physical Education Center (PEC) that is set to finish in June, 2023. Some of those who showed up at the ceremony, proving that the building of the PEC truly is groundbreaking, was Governor Daniel McKee, Congressman Seth Magaziner who was then General Treasurer of Rhode Island, and Town Administrator Phil Gould.

Then, the field was empty, green and bare. Now, there is a large structure in place of the vacant field. While it may look like an eyesore to some, the PEC is going to be jam packed with many tools that the students and sports teams can utilize. “The space will allow us to run many more activities to meet the needs of our students,” James Frost, Chairperson of the Unified Arts Department said. “The PEC will have 2 all purpose courts that can be used for Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, Pickleball, Badminton as well as many other activities in our Physical Education curriculum. The facility will also have a walking track with 3 lanes for students that would rather just work on their cardiovascular fitness instead of playing a team sport.

While the space will be large enough to accommodate all of this, Graduation will unfortunately be too large to take place in the PEC. Instead, it will continue to take place at the Community College of Rhode Island.

The PEC is still set to finish by the end of June, 2023, and will be ready for Lincoln High School’s gym classes by next year.