The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lion's Roar

The Lion's Roar

The Lion's Roar

Can They Comeback?
Can They Comeback?
April 26, 2024
Missing Youth
Missing Youth
April 26, 2024

Four Iconic Nostalgia Films to Watch This Fall

Autumn is the time for spending time with family and friends while also enjoying the cool weather before it turns to ice. It is also a popular season with many iconic films that take place during September, October, and November. Although Halloween is usually the main attraction of the fall season, there is more to it than just candy and costumes. These four notable films take place during the fall season and will surely take individuals down memory lane.

Let’s start with a classic, Hocus Pocus, this film starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy, Bette Midler, and the Sanderson sisters. Despite the fact they play the role of antagonists the movie would cease to exist without them. In the movie, characters Max and Dani have just moved with their family to Salem, Massachusetts. After the three witches have been dead for over 300 years, a broken spell causes them to arise. The Sanderson sisters were known for practicing dark magic and sucking the life force out of children all while gaining more power in return. Thanks to the pair of sisters, the two siblings get into some trouble. This film- in spite of its unsettling plot- is actually quite the comedic film. The inclusion of comedy and fantasy takes away from the “horror” aspect of it and makes it a great family movie. If an individual has not already seen this iconic movie, it is highly recommended that they do. Additionally, if first-time viewers like it, there is now a sequel which was filmed at Chase Farm! 

The second film is a PG-13 romance and it has the fall season right in its title, Autumn in New York. Behind the “love” aspect, this storyline is a heartbreak. Starring Winona Ryder and Richard Gere as Charlotte and Will, the acting makes this movie worthwhile and a definite watch. When the two protagonists first meet they have a deep connection, even though Will has an unflattering reputation with women. The fragment that makes this beautiful film extremely sad is that Charlotte only has two months to live due to her being sick. Throughout her life, Charlotte’s motto has been “Let me die in peace.” This sentiment was put under a magnifying glass when she came to terms with her illness. Meeting Will changed that depressing motto and she gained a willingness to fight for herself in order for them to be together. The epic love story creates a sense of comfort in this movie. Regardless of the pitiful tone during some moments of the film, this movie is worth watching. Whether it’s an individual’s first time watching it or the thousandth, either way, make sure they have a box of tissues or a shoulder to cry on or both because they’ll surely need it.

The third film is another Halloween theme that was aired mostly on Disney Channel but also on several other platforms. Twitches is a comedy and fantasy film that is about a pair of twin sisters who were separated at birth due to a darkness that yearned to take their power away. Their godparents took them away from their homeland as newborns in another dimension. In order to keep them from using their powers and re-awakening the mystical darkness they were forced to live separate lives. Each was adopted by families in the same town and lived their lives not knowing of each other until their 21st birthday on an accidental run-in (a little “Parent Trap,” if you will). On this day, these two witches’ lives were changed for the better and for the worse all at the same time. Finding out more about their past submits them to danger, but they’re willing to risk it. This movie is a favorite, especially for everyone who grew up watching Disney Channel. Watching this film should surely be on an individual’s fall bucket list because it is definitely an adventure. This film even has a sequel for viewers who want to see more of the two witches in action.

Last but certainly not least is a 90s movie that can be described as a Halloween movie, but still perfect for the whole autumn season, starring Johnny Depp and (once again) Winona Ryder, Edward Scissorhands. Directed by Tim Burton, this movie is based on a man who has gigantic hand scissors, because of an inventor who failed to complete him before passing away. Having large metal scissors instead of hands proves to be burdensome early on in this film. Winona Ryder’s character takes an interest in Edward and his interesting ability to use his scissor hands. This fantasy and drama is a nostalgia trip because of these two iconic and beloved actors being seen together in this fantastic film. Ultimately, all four of these films have the potential to bring out autumn joy.