The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lion's Roar

The Lion's Roar

The Lion's Roar

Can They Comeback?
Can They Comeback?
April 26, 2024
Missing Youth
Missing Youth
April 26, 2024

For Lincoln High School Athletes, It’s The Perfect Storm

Amazing Seasons Are The Total Sum of Timing, Talent and Maturity

No term can more correctly define this school season’s athletic success than calling it a Perfect Storm. With a great senior class, almost every program is expected to compete for state championships throughout all three seasons. With a Field Hockey title under our belt already, and hopeful for another one on the hardwood, our Lincoln Lions have never felt this much success in one year. 

Everything is peaking at the right time. As we look to continue our domination across the state, it’s important to remember all the challenging times our athletes went through during their athletic careers at LHS. This success is very well earned, and it’s important to celebrate with the likelihood of another year like this happening ever again very slim. In the Fall, our football program finished with a 7-1 record, and a playoff win at home over Ponaganset, headlined by stars such as Tyler Durang, Ravi Kapadia, and John Nicoll. 

Our Girls Field Hockey team not only won the state title, but they didn’t let up a goal in league play, and one all season against a very skilled Cumberland program, a remarkable feat for Senior Goalie Megan Delisle, alongside other great talents like Zoe Gaintanis, Charlotte Labossiere, Jenny Hayden, Ava Cipriano, and Sofia Cavanaugh, amongst many others. 

Our Girls soccer program also got back into the playoffs, headlined by plenty of talent from all 4 grades, including Seniors Skye Adam and Jessica Felicio, Juniors Maddy Roddy, Caitlyn Proctor and Addison Musto, and a plethora of underclassmen studs like Ava Mello, Danika Denham, Elaine Joy, and Riley Bouthillette. 

Moving into the winter, our basketball team has been dominating the state, winning every game by a large margin night in and night out. In Lincoln, we have a McDonald’s All American watchlist member, the only one in the state of Rhode Island. And, if Senior Wayne MacNamara makes the cut, he would be among many historical names in the game of basketball, joining the likes of Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James, amongst many others. Alongside Wayne are many other talented basketball players, including fellow senior star Camden DiChiara, Sophomore Josh Bergeron, and a pair of elite juniors in Ace Cote and Jackson Colton. 

In the spring, the expectation is for our Lions boys Lacrosse team to open up as the heavy favorite to win the state title in Rhode Island’s 4th division, headlined by seniors Noah Desmarais and Collin Falcone, and a great group of juniors that include Jackson Danforth, Matthew Harmon, and Jaden Bourski. While also being a baseball, our success on the diamond should be back up this season as we continue to take on some of the states top talent, including senior stars Joey Conti, Sean Clifford, and Jaiden Torres, amongst others. Lastly, Wayne MacNamara and the boys Volleyball team return to the court to defend their state championship, with key players like Austin Noel, Jackson Colton and Tyler Biddle, including a new group of players trying to make a name for themselves. 

One of the most important parts of success is being able to enjoy it while you are in it. We all felt success when our local team, the New England Patriots, were at the top of the sports world time and time again. But now, as we experience it for ourselves first hand, it feels so much more earned, and personal even. 

It’s more than just the wins and the losses in sports, and anyone that understands it will tell you the same thing. But this year, with all the wins racking up day after day, why not cherish these bright moments. High School memories are meant to last forever, so why not have some hardware and banners to go alongside with it. That’s why its so important to just feel the excitement and energy coming from every game, and every program, because something like this happening again won’t happen for a very long time. 

Our success across all athletics, with the great amount of passion and effort that our athletes put into their sports on a daily basis, this year really does feel like the perfect storm for Lincoln athletics.